Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern Railroads merger - Action Alert
Wednesday, August 10th at 5:30 pm
Davenport City Council Chamber
26 W. 4th ST
Don’t Be Railroaded!
What does the merger of Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern railroads mean to the Quad Cities?
- Up to 22 trains with an average of 8,000 ft or 1.5 miles long will be traveling through the QC daily. A 10 min. wait at the crossing can become a 40 min. wait.
- These trains will transport tank cars from Canada to Mexico. Each car will carry 30,000 gallons of flammable crude oil.
- Estimate a minimum of 2.5 hr. of train traffic a day. The train runs 24 hr. a day.
IMPACT OF THE INCREASED TRAIN TRAFFIC:
- Risk of accidents and derailment will increase according. There had been several accidents and derailments of CP trains since 2019.
- Due to the long train, emergency vehicles may not be able to reach residents and businesses located south of the track.
- Noise pollution, vibration, traffic, the increase in air pollution can impact property value and economic development of the river front.
- Attend the Davenport City Council meeting on Wed. Aug 10th at 5:30 pm at City Hall Council Chamber and voice your concerns. This topic is on the agenda.
- If you’re unable to attend, contact your alderperson and express your opinion.
- Write a letter to the editor of the Quad City Times and express your concerns.