Petition to Repeal Iowa's New Restrictive Voting Laws -
PACG has joined a coalition of Iowa organizations to support the effort of the League of Women Voters of Johnson County, Iowa (LWVJC) to oppose the changes to Iowa's new voting laws (HF413 and SF568). These laws are restrictive and unnecessary. They make it harder to vote! Per the LWV, the restrictions:
- Invalidate some mail-in ballots that, even when mailed promptly, cannot be returned before polls close
- Impede voting by medical and other workers with 12-hour shifts by closing the polls earlier on primary and general election days
- Obstruct returning absentee ballots by limiting the use of ballot drop boxes to one per county, regardless of population, and by unnecessarily restricting who may return absentee ballots
- Drastically shorten the early voting period from 29 days to 20 and needlessly limit ballot request periods
- Invite interference in our elections by allowing political parties to challenge Iowa elections in court
- Limit county auditors’ abilities to adapt to local conditions and criminalize good-faith errors
- Provide less time for voter registration and move voters who miss any general election to an “inactive” list
To get an even better understanding of what changed in these new laws, see this PACG blog post.
The list of voting law changes summarized by the Iowa State Association of County Auditors in the flyer below.
The League of Women Voters (LWV) is collecting signatures to oppose these changes from now until December 15th. The goal is to collect thousands of signatures across the state. These signatures will be delivered in person to the Iowa Senate Majority and Minority Leaders, the Speaker of the House and Minority Leader in January of 2022. LWV will host a press conference at that time.
LWVJC is offering both a paper petition or online signature. Here’s more information about the petition:
- For further details about the petition, and to sign in online click this link: https://www.lwvia.org/petitions
- To sign the online petition without further details, click this link: https://www.lwvia.org/anti-voter-laws
- All signees must be Iowa residents, at least 18 years old and eligible to vote. However, a signee does not have to be registered to vote.
- Paper copies of the petition can be printed from pdf we have attached above. Susan Leuthauser will pick up your signed petition or you may mail it to the address below.
- Each person can sign only one petition - either online or a paper copy.
If you have visitors from Iowa over the holiday, encourage them to sign the petition. Feel free to forward the online signature link to friends and relatives living across Iowa, and encourage your neighbors and friends to participate in this campaign. Email them this link: https://www.lwvia.org/petitions
Contact Susan Leuthauser (by clicking on her name) with any questions. She will also coordinate the collection of the signed petitions. If you would rather mail your signed petition, send it to:
P.O. Box 5254
Coralville, Iowa 52241
Our growing list of coalition partners for this petition drive includes:
- Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
- Common Good Iowa
- Sierra Club
- Delta Sigma Theta
- Episcopal Diocese of Iowa
- Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Interfaith Alliance
- Des Moines Chapter, The Links, Incorporated
- Progressive Action for the Common Good
- One Human Family of the QCA
- QC Pride, Inc.
- Metropolitan Community Church of the Quad Cities
As usual, PACG is proud to be working for the common good in this important way.