Candidate Questions - Health Care Reform
If you attend a candidate’s event, print off this list (see the download link below) and have it handy in case you have an opportunity to ask questions. Listen carefully to the answers on the topics below. Take notes if you can, and report back to us in the Blog Comments below.
These are also good questions that should be addressed to your State legislatures when they hold legislative sessions or campaign for re-election.
2. The Medicare program is vital to the health of millions of people. Will you protect Medicare for cuts planned by some members of Congress?
3. There are efforts underway to cut Medicaid funding and turn it into individual state grants. How will you fight to keep Medicaid strong and protect it from future cuts?
4. If you favor health care expansion, could you describe your vision? What would be the key points? (Single payer? Incremental stages of expansion?)
5. How will you provide healthcare to low-income people in states that did not expand Medicaid?
6. How will you push pharmaceutical companies to reduce Hight prescription drug prices?
a. Do you support letting Medicare negotiate with prescription drug companies? If so, why?
b. Would you support a bill to allow lower priced generic drugs to access the market more quickly?
c. What efforts will you take to require drug companies to explain large price increases?
d. Would you require drug companies to give a two-month notice when they plan to significantly increase prices?
e. Should Americans be allowed to buy lower priced drugs from other countries or should the U.S. government regulate drug prices?