Statement by the Health Care Reform Forum
Summary of Points
- These points are the consensus position of the active members of the Health Care Reform Forum, not the official position of Progressive Action for the Common Good (PACG) or its membership.
- We advocate retaining and building on the foundation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- We support eliminating efforts that have been made to weaken the ACA.
- We support fixing the areas where the ACA has fallen short of its goals.
- We support the following three next steps to strengthen the ACA:
- Adopt a publicly administered insurance plan to be offered on the marketplace.
- Require negotiated drug prices in publicly administered plans, including Medicare.
- Create a system for transparency in the pricing of provider services as well as of administrative costs in the private sector.
- We believe that health care is a moral issue: its resources are finite, and health system reform entails all of us recognizing not only our rights, but also our responsibilities, individual and collective.