November Environmental Celebration - America Recycles Day
- To reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators.
- To reduce the consumption of resources like timber, water, and minerals.
- To reduce the need to generate raw materials, which results in saving energy, reducing pollution, and our carbon footprints.
- Recycling rate went from 7% in 1960 to 32% in 2022.
- Almost 95% of the aluminum can be recycled, only 65% of it is. Two out of three aluminum cans are recycled.
- Recycling and reuse activities in the US amount to the creation of 680,000 jobs with $38 billions in wages and generate $5.5 billion in tax revenue.
- According to EPA nearly 70% of our waste is recyclable.
Take Action - Think “Green” before you shop
- Do I need it? Do I already own it? Can it be repaired and reuse? Can I borrow it?
- Is the manufacturer’s business practice sustainable?
- How “Green” is it?
- Look for Energy Star, WaterSense, or Safer Choice labeled products.
- Is it built to last?
- Is it made with recycled materials or is it recyclable?
- Buy sustainable and locally produced products, it may reduce environmental impacts and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Buy in bulk; avoid buying products packaged in small and individual amounts.
- Buy reusable products instead of disposable.
- Can I buy it used?